Are your pets safe in your home this Christmas?

2014_12_02-vetiq-blog-2

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s a time for tinsel & trees, mince pies & puddings, it’s a truly special season and one to be enjoyed by all. To ensure your home has a magical Christmas follow our safety tips to ensure your furry friends have a great time too!

Chocolate, raisins, liquorice and nuts are a definite this time of year in my house but I always make sure they are stored safely, these are just a few foods that are potentially fatal to your pet. It’s always best to avoid feeding human food and feed them food that is formulated just for them, and remember to store their treats in a secure jar so they can’t overeat if they find them! If you do suspect your little Freddie may have been a naughty boy and found the chocolate coins that Santa left, call your vet immediately who will be able to advise the best course of action.

I expect your halls are decked with boughs of Holly, but did you know that Holly is poisonous for dogs and Mistletoe & Poinsettia’s are fatal for cats? I still decorate my home with festive flora but make sure it’s out of reach! There’s some great artificial alternatives on the market now, so if you’re worried and have curious pets (and children!) in your home it may be worth investing.

Another fabulous artificial purchase is the tree! Real Christmas trees are mildly toxic to some animals and oils can be an irritant to eyes and sensitive skin, pine needles may also get stuck in paws so it really is best to avoid. Artificial trees have come on leaps and bounds since I was a kid, you can actually avoid the sparse silver wired versions and opt for a Canadian Spruce! Lights, tinsel and baubles make great toys for puppies but these are obviously chewing hazards so make sure you don’t leave them alone when you are out partying or you may come home to a scene that represents World War II.

Continue reading